Sunday, May 18, 2008

Is it Gleeson or Gleason, or does it even matter?

The creators of the website http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net are to be commended for giving Arlington National Cemetery a virtual presence on the web.

Now, I have known pretty much my entire life that my grandfather William John Gleeson (#6) was buried there.

So is General Leigh Wade, namesake of my mother Leigh Anne Gleeson (#3).

But, imagine my surprise when I discovered another possible familial connection to the fellow pictured here!

His name was John Hasset GLEASON. Yep, with an EA instead of an EE.

Usually, that difference in spelling is enough to turn my attention toward a new peregrination, but then I discovered his birth date and place.

He was born 17 May 1838 at Borrisoleigh in County Tipperary, Ireland.

That's the same little village my immigrant ancestor James Gleeson (#24) left behind when he voyaged to the good old US of A. And, he was born just a short time earlier, in May of 1835 or 1836 (depending on which source you believe).

Could it be these two men were brothers, or maybe cousins?

Some new peregrination starting points from this find:
* John Hasset Gleason died 30 June 1889 in Washington, DC. Is there a death certificate that might list his parents' names?
* JHG was also a Civil War veteran. Does he have a pension file that might give further clues to his ancestry or kin?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

contact irish tv station tg4, guy called ronan gallagher in particular...he is currently researchin a documentary about the irish effect on american civil war an has made many enquiries about this man...i am from his homeplace a village called borrisoleigh...i can provide you with no real information relevant as i had never even heard of this man up to recently....contacting this native tv station is your best hope of information...

Lorcan Ryan

kitty said...

John H Gleeson had three brothers who joined the papal brigade with him I understand. He was also mayor of Long Island.the birth reg of Borrisoleigh would give parents names. leave e mail no so I can contact you as i am about to research all Borrisoleigh members of PAPAL Brigade.I understand all were very tall- john 6 ft 5ins